Sunday, August 14, 2011

Healthy Life

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I have posted my last cake pictures. Since that time, I was busy with my classes, and believe it or not, I have not been making cakes. Being busy was not my only reason for not making cakes. People who know me are aware that I do not eat cake icing. However, I cannot say the same about my kids. :) They love icing. Although I make most of my cakes for other people, there are occasions when I make cakes for my own family. And once I put the “family” cake in the fridge, my “icing monsters” :) do not let the cake stay in there no more than two days. :) I am a cake chef, but I am a mother too. So, being busy with the classes, and being a responsible mother keep me away from making cakes. Since April, I have been making healthier desserts. With “healthy,” I mean butter-free and with less sugar.

I was reading an article the other day. It was about the prevalence of obesity and diabetes. According to the article, in 2020 more than half of Americans are expected to become diabetic. This is a huge number. This number includes all of our kids who will be adults in 2020. I think we should think three times before we eat something, and before we feed our kids. This reminded me something. I used to drink a lot of soda, and buy soda whenever I went to the supermarket. Then I realized that my kids started drinking a lot of soda, too. I started telling them how soda was bad for their bones, stomach, etc. But my words were not effective, because I was still buying and drinking soda myself. Then I stopped drinking soda (at least in front of them:)), and solved the problem. They do not drink soda anymore. I think by not making cake for the family, I am doing the same thing. If we all do the same, we would at least decrease the number of people who will be diabetic or obese in the future. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

P.S.: If you have not read the article, you can find it at: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabetes/diabetes-half-us-adults-risk-2020-unitedhealth-group/story?id=12238602

No comments:

Post a Comment